Light and Shade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You're here, aren't you?

HomeSearchLatest imagesLog inRegister

Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ambious

Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying Empty
PostSubject: Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying   Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Table of Contents
  • Chapter One
    Concepts of Roleplaying
  • Chapter Two
    Ranking System for Roleplayers
  • Chapter Three
    Character Development and Emotions
  • Chapter Four
    Combat and Actions
  • Chapter Five
    General Roleplaying Etiquette

Last edited by Ambious on Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ambious

PostSubject: Chapter One   Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Chapter One
Concepts of Roleplaying

Introduction
I have seen Roleplaying taught and applied in many ways, from Roleplaying in MSN chatrooms to Roleplaying on World of Warcraft RP Servers. From this, I have learned one general fact: Roleplaying is not something that is better due to where it occurs, but the quality it has. Now, when I say quality, I do not mean the fancy setups or grammatically correct and complicated sentences some choose to use. Nor do I meant the accents and unique techniques some people tend to use. When I say quality, I mean how well they comminicate what they mean, which can be helped via such things as accents, articulate techniques, and large sentences.

The Concepts of Roleplaying are elementary basics of what the quality of an RP is. The stronger and more used the concepts, the higher the quality. I have touched on one concept already: communication. The others would be depth, and consistency. Now, though those terms may not seem to make any sense, once I elaborate, you should see a whole new outlook on RP'ing, or at least a more defined one.

• Communication
    This is THE MOST IMPORTANT Concept of Roleplaying. Without communication, everything communication, everything falls apart. Now, communication doesn't imply advanced literary techniques. It just means being clear and assured of what you said to avoid awkward misunderstandings. Communication normally boils down to about two things:

• The first would be making sure your sentences flow appropriately. Example being, make sure your pronouns and nouns are understandable. If you repeat his/her and it's for the duration of an RP, some may misunderstand. But yes, obviously said pronouns exist for a reason, but at least try to keep them obvious to what noun they refer to and make sure to only go as far as a post or two with a single pronoun; even if it would be clear and there's only one person, repeat their name if it grows lengthy.
    • The Second would be making sure that you're grammatically correct. Now, I don't mean be a hardcore grammar nazi and put ninty thousand commas in a five-word sentence just to be perfectly correct. What I mean is make sure what you do write is correct. Basically, don't go beyond your bounds if you aren't sure.

Making sure your sentence flows and that you are not incorrect will help in assuring good communication. But, overall, you need to make good communication second nature; becuase, if you do nothing but spellcheck over and over again, your RP'ing will simply go to slow to be appropriate. I state communication being the most important concept for that reason; it needs to be your most finely tuned skill. And, a good rule for good communication, if you read over it or while you're writing something it occurs to you that there might be a problem, attempt to fix it immediately-- never "hope" they get it.
  • Depth
    I use the term "depth" to determine just how well-though-out a character is. The tiniest perks, quirks, patterns, flaws, ect. All those add up to the sum of a character's depth. Now, just having them isn't it all though. How they're applied, or the conditions they're set off by can add just as much to depth as a whole new quirk could. And single quirks don't just do it either, sometimes two acting in unison or effecting one another can add to Depth. Depth is one of the larger contributors to Roleplaying Skill simply due to the fact it's the most miscellanious. Depth is the icing on a cake, not needed but it makes it savored oh-so much more. Now, I consider there to be about three levels of Depth:
    • Level I Depth
      Quote :
      John looks to the clock, a common activity for him.
    • Level II Depth
      Quote :
      John looks to the clock during his math teacher's lecture, a common acivity for him when he is bored.
    • Level III Depth
      Quote :
      John looks to the clock during his math test, a common activity for him when he is stressed, something he is especially due to he has a fear of tests.

Anything past Level III Depth I find excessive, and excessive depth deminishes from Roleplaying Skill, in actuality. Giving so much information can loose other Roleplayers' attention and become useless to the original point. A masterful user of Depth can effectively put the correct amount of information into a simple post and keep it to point as well as informative about the character, which is what depth is about. Giving implied information.
  • Consistency
    This Roleplaying concept is the hardest to attain. Consistency involves making sure you always Roleplay your character how he is meant to be roleplaying and not going outside character. Consistency also involves character development, and is the embodiment of that in Concept-form. A character that is roleplayed well is consistent until he develops, which is what makes this worthy of being a concept. Now, the reason Consistency is the hardest concept is actually due to it's simplicity. Consistency can be described in a sentence that is essentially all of what I explained in a non-broken-down format.
    Quote :
    To Roleplay a character consistently, you have to make sure you stick to your character at all times, including when they transition from static to dynamic or vice verca.

The relationships of Roleplaying Concepts
Finally, how Roleplaying Concepts work. Communication effects Depth and Consistency simply by being how they exist. Depth would be useless if others couldn't understand the implied information and consistency would be worthless if not noticed. Depth has a direct effect on the other two concepts by simply making them harder the more of it you have; by adding depth, you make writing communicating harder by giving more information and you increase the difficultly of maintaining and keeping consistency in mind. And, finally, Consistency is what makes a character seem them. Moreover, a character's consisency is how you recognize them; keeping their depth, the quirks and ticks, existent while keeping you always mindful of ways to communicate the consistency.
Back to top Go down
Ambious

PostSubject: Chapter Three   Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 7:09 pm

Chatper Three
Character Development and Emotions

• Character Development
    Character Development corralates with a lot of roleplaying skill. For a character to develop, one has to get inside their mind and realize how they would truely react. Leaving the Concepts of Roleplaying behind, Character Development is a part of roleplaying all it's own. Characters, as people do, change and grow to fit their world. There are some exceptions of course, but it is natural for characters to change from what they were originally made for and that's not a bad thing, it doesn't deminish skill. In fact, doing it correctly adds to ones' roleplaying skill.

There are three kinds of Character Development, each of which playing an important role when it comes to keeping a character realistic. These three kinds of Character Developemnt actually corralate with things you might learn from a highschool healthclass: Mental Development, Physical Development, and Emotional Development. Each of these things play an important role on the character due to that are kinds of "edits" on the character within a setting that would occur due to an event. A good quote for this would be:
    Quote :
    "Life gives it's own battlescars, be it to the body, mind, heart, or even ego."
    Also, each of these forms of development effect a character in a different way. As to help compare them and help state more qualities about them, I'll put them in a list.
    • Mental Development
      Mental Development is how a character's mind changes during roleplaying. Now, this is actually the most subtle form of change. A mind is a delicate thing, a tiny tweak can change a personality and the entire future of the character entirely. That is why this type of development is rarely dwelled upon, and those who do are normally Rank IV's & V's.
    • Physical Development
      Physical Development is the widest form of development ranging from building muscle to pregnancy and limb removal to growing tails. Oftenly, Physical development is used for symbolism and I've oftenly seen Rank I's & II's use it to state skill or create vendettas, and, in some cases, create a loose plot. Physical Development als have many applications, such as increasing difficultly of tasks and whatnot. Physical Development has the most applications.
    • Emotional Development
      Emotional Development is the touchiest form of development. There are even three types of it and it's not as varied as phyisical development just due to it's complicitiy.
      • Self-Cuased Emotional Developement
        This form of Emotion Development is cuased due to the character normally questioning themselves, realizing something, or simply having an apiffany. This Emotional Development is normally used by the Roleplayer to change them slightly and normally is triggered somehow via a pre-existing condition. This is rarely and feared to be used for the simple fact others may get mad if abused.
      • Enviormentally-Cuased Emotional Developement
        This form of Emotional Development is cuased by the enviorment, possibly the loss of a limb or apendage due to survival, or realizing noone is there to help you. I find this form of Emotional Developement hard to explain for the simple fact it is normally something a Roleplayer decides to do or the moderator of a Roleplay sets up to give the Roleplayer the choice.
      • Peer-Cuased Emotional Development
        This form of Emotional Development is what I consider the most well-known. Generally vendettas or love-plots, this type of Emotional Development is often used to get a character into a setting or plot.

Having those three different forms while being the hardest Development to utilize makes this form of Development very contreversial.

There are obvious relationships between these developments, but they're too complicated and trivial for me to explain. All you need to know is that one event may lead to more than one type of development-- I know I've utilized that.

• Emotions
    Many view Emotional Roleplaying as a rank all it's own and many even use how well you apply emotions to a character to dictate ones' roleplaying skil fully. Being they're regarded so highly, I simply had to make them all their own in this post.

Emotions make a character realistic, add god knows how many layers, requires massive skill to use correctly, and can be the funnest way to roleplay at times. Put simply, Emotions have such a big effect and in so many ways, I really can't fully tell you how much they influence roleplaying. All that can really be said about this goliath of a topic is to look at life and how emotions effect it. You'll see the effects, the intensity of emotions, you'll see why you have to apply them and learn to use them correctly.

To give you a look into how important they are, look at a character without emotions. That character is one of the most radical that can be roleplayed. That character would most likely have a elaborate past. In reality, an emotionless character would also be highly difficult to use, you'd have to think about each of their actions logically, which is very, very hard.
Back to top Go down
Ambious

PostSubject: Chatper Four   Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 7:46 pm

Chapter Four
Combat and Actions

Combat
Some people roleplay just for the awesome fights that ensue, while others view it as the most trivial part of a roleplay. Either way, Combat is a large part of roleplaying, I find that it always is. There's not much to combat, it's fighting in text format. The biggest parts to fighting would be transition and the level of character control allowed.

Good Combat Transitioning turns fighting into a turn based system. Combat Transitioning is probably the simplest and first thing beginers pick up on. During Transitioning, you simply want to make your combat-related actions flow smoothely and give your opponent(s) proper time to react.

Character Control levels vary setting-to-setting, but normally you can depend on certian things, such as an elbow bending inward and not out, as to character control. Character Control will always be a contreversial, complicated, and difficult subject in my opinion, so it will be something all roleplayers will simply have to get the feel of.

Actions
Acting in a roleplay is a complicated thing in itself. Every action will most likely have a reaction, an effect, do something to the setting in which will react to the character. In short, though, this, like combat, is something all roleplayers will just have to get the feel of and, moreover, see is just as realistic as the real world.
Back to top Go down
Ambious

PostSubject: Chapter Five   Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 7:55 pm

Chapter Five
General Roleplaying Etiquette

Quite simply, it is paramount one is proper to his peers during roleplaying. Be courteous when discussing matters, and you could be a Rank V talking to a Rank I, you should treat them as your equal unless you hold moderater or sub-moderator status. Moreover, you should never abuse your powers, control others' characters, or just plain be a jerk.

Moderator-Player Relationship

This is a very important part of roleplaying. The Moderator control the setting- the entire world a character is in and that gives them a lot of power. But, that does not give them anything they should not have. Quite Frankly, all roleplaying moderators only have the power to control the setting and their own characters within it, although that gives them a lot. Past this, it is solely up to the moderator themself to decide how they use their powers, becuase if they abuse them, it is rare others will roleplay with them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying   Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying Empty

Back to top Go down

Ambious' Instructional and Information text on The Art of Roleplaying
Page 1 of 1